Monday, 11 June 2012

Changes and a work in progress

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly remembered about a character that I had designed back in my teens. It's a terrible design, and went through several different variations, as seen as below.

Go on, have a good chuckle, I did! :D

Anyway, it got me thinking about how I could update the character and make the design stronger.

This newer version still leaves a lot to be desired, but so far I'm having hell of a lot of fun painting it- it's been a nice break from the work I've been doing for others. I've also used it as an opportunity to try a different way of painting for once. Instead of being intensely focused on detail, I'm doing blockier colours and shapes, and trying to suggest parts of the character rather than render everything completely.